Protecting Our Pets from Poison
By following these simple steps, you can reduce the possibility of your pet becoming poisoned!
- Be aware of the plants you have in your house and in your pet’s yard. The ingestion of azalea, sago palm, Easter lily, or yew plant material by an animal could be fatal. Many other plants can cause stomach upset.
- When cleaning your house, never allow pet access to the area where cleaning agents are used or stored. Cleaning agents contain a variety of potentially toxic ingredients.
- When using rat or mouse baits, ant or roach traps, or snail and slug baits, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your animals.
- Never give your animal any medication unless under the direction of a veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately in pets.
- Keep all prescription and over-the-counter drugs out of reach of your pets, in closed cabinets above the counter.
- Never leave chocolates unattended. Approximately 1/2 ounce or less of baking chocolate per pound of body weight can cause problems. Irregular heartbeats and seizures can occur!
- Many common household items have been shown to be lethal in certain species. Miscellaneous items that are high toxic even in low quantities include before 1983 pennies (high concentration of zinc), mothballs, potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, automatic dish detergents (could cause corrosive lesions), batteries, homemade play dough, winter heat source agents like hand and foot warmers (contain high levels of iron), cigarettes, coffee grounds, and alcoholic drinks.
- All automotive products such as oil, gasoline, windshield washer fluid and antifreeze (ethylene glycol), can be deadly in a 7 lb. cat and less than one tablespoon could be lethal to a 20 lb. dog. Keep ONLY on high shelves.
- Before buying or using flea products on your pet or in your household, contact your veterinarian to discuss what types of flea products are recommended for your pet. Read ALL label information before using a product on your animals or in your home.
- When treating your lawn or garden with fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides, always keep your animals away from the area until it dries completely. Discuss usage of products with the manufacturer of the products to be used. Always store such products in an area that will ensure no possible pet exposure, such as high shelves in a garage or in a locked storage shed.
If you suspect your pet has become poisoned, don’t hesitate to contact Poison Control at http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/ or call 888-426-4435. They are open and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Don’t hesitate — it could be a matter of life or death for your furry one…